Sunday, September 22, 2013

Meet the Family ~ Terry

Terry  is my second eldest son and is 16 1/2 years old. Terry decided that he needed a little more time on the inside before entering the world at 2 weeks overdue. We were very lucky that he was born in a hospital at all as the immensely experienced (and well aged) midwife took one look at me and decided that I just shouldn't have been there...for in her opinion...I didn't present as pregnant at all. (Guess who should've gone to specsavers!).

I manoeuvred my bulky pregnant body onto the bed in the labour ward and insisted that she examine me. It seemed though that her decision was final and she marched right out of the delivery room to ring a taxi to take me home again. Within a few moments of her returning I clenched my fists, closed my eyes and screamed at the top of my voice "Catch!" Out flew Terry, straight into the midwife's hands and I don't know which one was shocked the most.


Terry was a monster of a baby compared to John and weighed in at 8lb and 2ozs (3.685kgs). As I held him close I was left speechless as I looked at him. His little mouth went from one side of his face to the other in what looked like a gigantic smile. Instantly I thought of song lyrics that summed up my new little man right from the very first moment....


"I was born with a smile on my face
the whole of my life's been a pantomime
born with the need to embrace
the life of a clown telling rhymes" ~ (Stephanie de Sykes)

A few years down the track Terry was diagnosed in Preschool with Developmental Language Disorder. He never spoke intelligibly until he was 7...and oh how I had longed to hear his voice and thoughts and words.
Three years later ...Terry was diagnosed with Autistic Spectrum Disorder, OCD and Tourettes Syndrome. This year he was diagnosed with Severe Obstructive Sleep Apnoea and has also endured Primary Nocturnal Enuresis all his life.

Terry has spent time in traditional schools, Homeschooling and Distance Education. This year he has gained his L's and commenced a Certificate ll in Hospitality at Tafe.

As a person Terry is mischievous, funny, full of wit, caring, obliging, strong, determined and has a very strong sense of social justice.  I love him to the moon and back and will never cease to be amazed by him.






I found it hard to share about my child in only a few paragraphs....but you are now challenged to do the same. Go to comments and tell a story or share an experience about you child...as short or as long as you choose. I look forward to some reading.


Listen to:

I was born with a smile on my face -





Check my links:

Developmental Language Disorder - NYT - Developmental Language Disorder

Autistic Spectrum Disorder - mydr - Autistic Spectrum Disorder

OCD - Beyond Blue - Obsessive Compulsive Disorder

Tourettes Syndrome - NIH - Tourette's Syndrome

Sleep apnoea - mydr - Sleep Apnoea

Primary Nocturnal Enuresis Wikipedia - Primary Nocturnal Enuresis












No comments:

Post a Comment